Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Will The Real "ME" Please Stand Up?

There is a little bit of me in all of the characters I write. Always has been. Sometimes it's just a mannerism, or a favorite food, or something else infinitesimally small. In Set In Stone, my YA novel, the Chinese restaurant in the book really is one of my favorite restaurants. In Nine Lives, Nick has conversations with his mom that are eerily similar to the ones I have with my own 11-year-old.

But then there are the ME books. Now, to be clear, I have never crashed an ex-boyfriend's wedding like Bonnie does in Match Me. But I did work in a crazy toy store while I was in college. And I do have a pack of tarot cards that I am woefully inept at using. And the turtle is my totem animal. :)

It's easy to use fact when crafting fiction, to weave it in and tweak it in just such a way that it is similar to real life...yet different. 

Writing instructors often tell students: Write what you knowAbsolutely. In my case, with the Me novellas, I am simply writing who I am. :)

Save Me has even more pieces of me threaded into the story. But I'll save that for next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment